Pallahara Block Level Multi Stakeholders’ Nutrition Workshop

By Kalpanika Tripathy, District Documentation Officer

A block level multi stakeholder workshop on nutrition was held on March 3, 2020 at Sarat Chandra Club in Pallahara block of Angul district. MLA Pallahara Mukesh Pal, Sub-Collector Ajit Kumar Pradhan, Medical Officer, Vice Chairman of Panchayat Samiti, Sector Supervisors of ICDS department, Sarapanch, Panchat Samiti members participated in this workshop. MLA inaugurated the program by lamp lightning. APAA’s member provided brief information on formation and objectives of APAA.

Mr. Mukesh Kumar Pal, MLA, Pallahara, appreciated APAA for choosing Pallahara for its awareness and motivational activities to eradicated malnutrition. He urged the administration, panchayati raj members and community to work for common nutritional goals.

The Medical Officer explained all the preventive measures for fighting against malnutrition. He informed that while 45% of malnutrition is because of lack of nutritious food, the other 55% is because of lack of awareness. He addressed the participants to motivate people against child marriage, in favor of family planning, educating women, exclusive breast feeding till 6 months and giving additional food after six months. He emphasized on health care services for pregnant and lactating women and fulfillment of Mamata Yojana conditions to avoid malnutrition.

Mr. Ajit Kumar Pradhan, Sub-Collector, Pallahara, suggested that all participants should set targets and come up with prevention strategies for malnourished children of Pallahara. He urged both ICDS staff and APAA members to sensitize more people and Sarpanch to share information related to services on nutrition in their gram panchayat meetings.

Lady supervisor explained six important ICDS services and she praised APAA’s effort for spreading awareness within community and stakeholders as well as helping in monitoring AWC services for better implementation. She said that now all beneficiaries were coming to AWC and receiving actual quantity of THR. Jaanch and Matru committee members were also becoming proactive. Participation in VHND and growth monitoring functions were also systematized.

Sarpanch of Balipasi GP, Parachhat GP, Nizigarh GP and Saida GP shared their experiences and suggested that the participants take ownership to eradicate malnutrition by monitoring AWC services and counseling beneficiaries.

The workshop was successfully concluded by bringing all the influencers of nutrition services at one place and sharing information with a hope to channelize the information to fight against malnutrition in Pallahara block.